handmade jewellery by contemporary designers

Monday 5 March 2012

old school glamour

This afternoon whilst I was hard at work (I promise) I stumbled across what is possibly my all time favourite film on the telly box and naturally I got a bit side tracked. I remember recording Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, with the gorgeous Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe on video as a child and playing it over and over and over and over and over and..... you get the picture.



I'm not certain what it was about this film that made me fall in love with it (the type of love that lasts a lifetime), but I'm pretty sure the two beautiful lead actresses and their stunning wardrobes had something to do with it. The light hearted film tells the tale of two friends travelling on an ocean liner to Europe, or 'Europe, France' as Monroe's character says while on the look out for men of the wealthy variety. There's glitz or old school bling, glamour, sequins and diamonds galore as both women display a style and elegance that has faded with time.


Jane Russell

Marilyn Monroe

Cocktail parties may now have been replaced with happy hour and occasions that warrant a feathered headpiece may now be few and far between (unless you count your weekly trip to the supermarket), but that doesn't mean we can't take inspiration from the glamorous icons of the past. A simple item of statement jewellery can enhance an outfit whatever the occasion.

Mulit Layer Target Necklace by Kokkino
Josianne Double Pendant by Joanna Cave
Margot Cuff by Joanna Cave
Swept Earrings by Flash Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment